Make sure your Instagram app is up to date
How to Update the Instagram App on iOS
It’s important to keep your Instagram app version up to date if you want access to all the latest features and to keep it performing at its best.
The following instructions and screenshots are from iOS 14. You may need to update your iOS version if your device is running on an older version.
- Open the App Store app on your iOS device.
- Tap Search in the bottom menu.
- Search for “Instagram” in the search field at the top and select Instagram from the suggested list of results.
- Tap Update to the right of the Instagram app listing.If your Instagram app is already up to date, the button will already say Open instead of Update. If you don’t have Instagram installed, it will say Get, which you can tap to download the app. If you previously offloaded the app, you’ll see a cloud button to re-download it.
- When the app has finished updating, tap Open to go to Instagram or tap more to see the update details.If you haven’t enabled automatic updates for your iOS apps, you may see an Updates option in the bottom menu (depending on your iOS version). In that case, you can tap to update Instagram or any app individually or in bulk. You can also tap the profile icon in the top right corner to scroll through your current apps and find Instagram to tap Update beside it.
How to Update the Instagram App on Android
Updating Instagram on Android is similar to iOS. These instructions and screenshots are from Android 10. You may need to update your Android OS if your device is running on an older version.
- Open the Google Play Store app on your Android device.
- Use the search field at the top to search for “Instagram” and select Instagram from the list of suggested results.
- Tap Update to the right of the Instagram app listing.If your Instagram app is already up to date, the button will say Open instead of Update. If you don’t currently have Instagram on your device, it will say Install.
- Wait for the app to finish updating, then tap Open to open Instagram.Tips: If you don’t have automatic app updates enabled on your Android device, you may see an Updates tab under My apps & games in the Google Play Store. Under this tab, you can tap Update beside Instagram and other apps that need updating.